In times of self-isolation all around the world, news broke out that Charles, Prince of Wales, has tested positive for COVID-19, which was a declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization on March 11th.
“The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual,” said a spokesperson from Clarence House to Vogue. The announcement around his coronavirus diagnosis was made two days after British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson declared that the United Kingdom would be on a lockdown for the foreseeable future.
Prince Charles, 71, has also just tested positive for the #coronavirus.— About Her (@AboutHerOFCL) March 25, 2020
"He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual," said Clarence House.#COVID19https://t.co/j6PcxtKHXS
Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall tested negative for the virus, but remains by Prince Charles’s side and the Clarence House representative also added, “In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland. The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing. It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”
The next in line for the throne of England had been carefully abiding by the new public health guidelines, by forgoing the shaking of hands and bowing his head to those he came into contact with.
Unfortunately, Prince Charles is the first in the royal family to have contracted the virus, and joins other high profile individuals including Prince Albert of Monaco and Tom Hanks.