Saudi Arabian Dr. Eman Ashgar was entrusted with the task of supervising the medical teams during the period of Hajj, and she is the first woman to hold this position.
The Saudi cardiology expert has been working with medical groups during Hajj since 1985. In 2019, Dr. Ashgar finally gets her big break. The Saudi Arabian Minister of Health appoints her as the head of the medical administration, making her the first Saudi female physician to hold that position.
Saudi Arabian women have been quite a buzz topic ever since Vision 2030 was fully propelled into action. Of all the achievements they’ve been throwing our way from filmmaking to medicine, Dr. Ashgar is the latest to do so. Get to know the inspirational doctor and philanthropist before she assumes her official role.
About Her Education
Dr. Ashgar holds a bachelor of medicine and surgery from King Abdulaziz University in 1982 and a cardiology diploma with a master's degree from the University of London.
About Her Career
Dr. Eman’s work experiences during her long career range across various departments and fields. She started as a resident in the ICU (intensive care unit) at King Fahd Hospital in 1984. She then worked as a doctor of internal medicine at the educational hospital in Al Khobar, and then in obstetrics and pediatrics with intensive training in sonic ultrasound processes.
The physician is a consultant cardiologist with an internal medicine fellowship from the University of Dammam, Saudi Board of Internal Medicine, and an interventional cardiology consultant at King Fahad Hospital.
About Her Charity Work
The doctor is also an avid philanthropist, as she has made several social and charitable contributions throughout her career. Ashgar led the volunteering campaign for women in Jeddah during the invasion of Kuwait for six months until liberation, and was the person behind the awareness campaigns in the International Days of Heart and Blood Pressure from 2000 to 2015.
Organizations and Conferences Dr. Eman Ashgar is associated with:
- Member of the Saudi Society for Blood Pressure and Cardiology.
- Member of the American Heart Association.
- Member of the Saudi Heart Association.
- Member of the American College of Cardiology.
- Member of the Heart Conference in Jeddah in 2007.
- Member of the Saudi German Hospital.
- Member of the HEART2 conference in Dubai, organized by the Saudi German Hospital in Dubai, as an organization and speaker.
- President of a scientific session at the Cardiac Symposium in Casablanca, Morocco in 2011.
- Member of the Saudi Society for Blood Pressure Conference in Jeddah, Riyadh and Qatif for 2008 - 2014.