When we think of the start of a New Year, we always think about new beginnings and ways to make our lives happier, healthier and more productive. So whether you’re looking for more adventure, peace, the experience of a lifetime or awesome sights, AboutHer has put together this life-altering list of ideas to contemplate.
1. Swim with a dolphin: Is there a better way of experiencing dolphin love? Coming face-to-face with one of the planet’s most fascinating and most-loved creatures is hard to beat and is on many peoples’ wishlists.
2. Travel around the world for a month: Try living off the land, just for fun. You’ll learn a lot from meeting so many people from different cultures and having to deal with all the issues that come with it.
3. Watch a spectacular sunset: Choose a very special location, for example it's incredible to watch the sunset on a snow-clad mountain with the love of your life! Another option is Ayers Rock in Australia, where you can see the sun suddenly change colour from red to orange to lilac.
4. Volunteer in an NGO: You will feel humbled when you experience the unconditional love of underprivileged people. There are many organisations to choose from, so think of a cause you really care about and go about helping.
5. Plant a tree on your birthday: Make your neighbourhood better and greener; nothing is more satisfying than this. Imagine how good it will make you feel to watch it grow year after year.
6. Stay in a mediation camp: A spiritual high is one thing that will never leave you! There are numerous benefits to meditation, beginning with stress relief, better health, higher creativity and better personal relationships.
7. Write a novel: Get your creative juices flowing and you’ll be amazed with what you can accomplish! Make the book about everything you essentially are, without missing a single beat. Let out the secret with a big bang.
8. Plan a road trip: It’s a great way of discovering parts of the country while spending quality time with your girlfriends. Remember “Thelma and Louise?” Make it exciting by renting a convertible and taking some fun road trip games with you.
9. Experience a ride in a hot air balloon: Fly high in the oldest successful human-carrying flight mode of transport and discover just how beautiful the world is hundreds of feet above the ground.
10. Visit the Grand Canyon: This American wonder of the world is something that you have to see with your own eyes. If you’re adventurous you can take a guided tour by foot or the more luxury-minded can hire a helicopter.
11. Walk the Great Wall of China: Built hundreds of years ago to protect the Chinese empire from invaders, the Great Wall of China is the only man-made structure visible from outer space.
Seeing Is Believing!
12. Witness the Northern Lights in Alaska: Apparently the Northern Lights is way up there on the list of one of the most spectacular phenomena to see in our world.
13. Help someone without wanting anything in return: Go out of your way to make a difference, break a sweat or use some of your means to make that person’s load lighter. Their appreciation alone is worth your effort.
14. Learn a foreign language: There are so many fascinating cultures, countries and languages in the world, it seems like a crime to only be able to speak one. You’ll be surprised that you can learn to speak a language in three to six months.
15. Send a message in a bottle: It’s so much fun! Go crazy, write your life story or life’s wisdom on a few sheets of paper, put it in a bottle and drop it somewhere far in the ocean. Who knows who’ll find it and break out in a smile?
16. Learn your favourite song: You don’t even need to know music or master an instrument to play that special song. You can find tutorials on the Internet, and you’ll have something to enjoy for the rest of your life.
17. Savour an African safari: A trip like this is the ultimate wildlife spotting experience. Being in touch with lions, giraffes, hippos and zebras in their natural environments is high on most peoples’ agendas.
18. Track the Machu Picchu Trail: The mountain-top ruins of Machu Picchu are the most popular tourist attraction in South America. Finding inspiration is easy in one of the most magical places in the world.
19. Take a ride on the Orient Express: Getting to go on the world’s most famous and romantic train is certainly a good story to tell your grandchildren one day.
20. Sleep under the stars: Imagine the awe-inspiring magic of relaxing and sleeping under a gently shimmering blanket of stars. Then there’s the thought of the caress of cool breezes, a dazzling sunrise and being greeted with birdsong.
21. Create your family tree: What a great way to reconnect with some of your long lost relatives and discover your ancestry. Learn more about where you come from and you might find a few surprises on your path of self-discovery.
22. Run a marathon: Feel an adrenaline rush, help your heart and fundraise for good causes all at once! What’s more, you can help your children by being a good role model and basically staying around for them longer if you run regularly.