Dubai has been ranked 2nd best city in the world for expats, and Abu Dhabi featured in the top 10 in the list created by InterNations. It goes without saying that Dubai is home to some of the best hotels, cityscapes, and experiences in the world, and is a transit hub to travel pretty much anywhere in the world! What's not to love? Moreover, tourists flock to Dubai to soak up the desert sun, dine at worldclass restaurants, dance the night away at the coolest venues, as well as explore the city’s burgeoning arts and cultural scene.
InterNation’s list honored three different cities on three different continents as the best places in the world to live and work. The organization collated information from around 12,000 expats living in 181 countries or territories with 50 cities that met the sample size requirement of at least 50 participants per destination.
Spanish city Valencia topped the InterNations Expat City Ranking list 2022, with survey participants conveying that its quality of life, public transport and sporting opportunities made them love living there, followed by Dubai, which was revered as a great place to work and enjoy time off. Expats also expressed that they were pleased with the city’s welcoming vibe when they first moved there.
In third place was Mexico City, and ranked as such for its affordability. Whilst not in the top 3, the UAE capital of Abu Dhabi came in at number 9 for its “excellent healthcare and worry-free bureaucracy.”
Here’s the list of the top 10:
- Valencia, Spain: Liveable, friendly and affordable
- Dubai, UAE: Great for work and leisure
- Mexico City, Mexico: Friendly and affordable, but unsafe
- Lisbon, Portugal: Amazing climate and quality of life, mediocre work options
- Madrid, Spain: Great leisure activities, a welcoming culture
- Bangkok, Thailand: Expats feel at home despite safety concerns
- Basel, Switzerland: Expats satisfied with finances, jobs, quality of life
- Melbourne, Australia: An easy city to get used to
- Abu Dhabi, UAE: Excellent healthcare, worry-free bureaucracy
- Singapore: Easy administration, satisfying finances, improved career prospects
Miami was the highest-ranking North American city on the list, in 12th place, New York ranked at number 16 and Toronto came in at 19. In the UK, London ranked in 40th place.