Nasi Goreng, a popular Indonesian stir fried rice dish, is the perfect option for spice lovers seeking some comfort food. The darn delicious meal is also a top pick for seafood and egg lovers as it has ingredients like fresh shrimps, shrimp paste, prawn crackers and fried egg. With a sweet-savoury touch from the kecap manis or sweet soy sauce and a serious hit of umami from the shrimp paste, the Southeast Asian hit is sure to be a real winner at the table.
The recipe is provided by India Gate, using their brown basmati rice for a healthier, lighter and fluffier version.
Brown Rice Nasi Goreng with Prawn Crackers
- Brown basmati rice, 200 g
- Sesame oil, 4 tsp
- 3 Eggs
- Fresh shrimp, 150 g
- Green onion, 120 g
- Sweet soy sauce / kecap manis, 6 tsp
- Garlic cloves, 60 g
- Fresh red chili, 60 g
- Onion, 40 g
- Shrimp paste, 3 tsp
- Cherry tomato, 40g
- Shaved cucumbers, 40g
- Red radish slices, a few
- Wash and soak brown rice in cold water for three hours.
- Cook it in a rice cooker and keep it in warm mode.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add chili and garlic, stir for a minute approximately.
- Add onion and cook for another minute.
- Add shrimp and cook for another two minutes.
- Add sweet soy or kecap manis and cook till shrimps are cooked through and a bit caramelised.
- Add rice and shrimp paste and stir constantly on a high heat.
- Add chopped green onion.
- Break an egg in a bowl and carefully shallow fry it on a non stick pan to make a fried egg.
- Fry shrimp cracker in hot oil till it becomes crisp.
- Slice red radish in mandolin.
- Cut cherry tomato into half.
- Place rice in the centre and fried egg on top of it.
- Arrange crisp crackers, cherry tomato, red radish and shaved cucumbers on the side.
Did you know?
The basmati rice grain is meticulously grown in the Indo-Gangetic plain in the foothills of the Himalayan ranges. Fertile alluvial soil, fresh air and the sweet water contribute primarily to the unique characteristics associated with the remarkably long variety of rice that has a distinct aroma and discrete nutty taste.