Sweet indulgences make Ramadan that much more special and this delicious recipe is one that everyone will enjoy tucking into. Created by Dubai-based Chef Wadad Zarzour for Marks & Spencer (M&S), it merges two ingredients that are simply meant to be together, chocolate and peanut butter. Here, that magical combination of nutty and chocolatey, sweet and salty is enhanced by maple and pecan, as well as syrupy and fruity raisins and honey.
Zarzour is a Lebanese chef influenced by the food of her hometown Zahle and the rich region of the Bekaa Valley. Known affectionately as Chef Woodz, the social media star, who honed her culinary skills at the School of Culinary And Finishing Arts, is a regular on TV.
Chocolate Filo Rolls with Peanut Butter and Raisins
• 270g M&S Frozen Filo Pastry Dough
• ½ cup M&S Organic Raisins
• 100g dark chocolate
• ½ cup M&S Peanut Butter with Maple & Pecan
• 2 tbsp flaked almonds
• 2 tbsp honey
• 2 tbsp melted butter
• Pinch of salt
• Icing sugar, to dust (The ingredients can be found at M&S Dubai Mall, Dubai Festival City Mall, Mall of the Emirates, Marina Walk and Springs Souk stores, with selected items available on the M&S food app.)
1. Remove the filo pastry dough from freezer ahead of time to defrost.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 190˚C / 170˚C fan / Gas Mark 5.
3. Melt the dark chocolate either for one minute in the microwave or in a bain-marie.
4. Combine the melted dark chocolate, raisins, M&S Peanut Butter with Maple & Pecan and honey in a bowl.
5. Cut the filo into squares and add a spoonful of the filling to each square.
6. Tuck the top and bottom of the square in to stop any filling leaking out, then roll the pastry over the filling into a cigar shape.
7. Brush each roll with melted butter and then sprinkle the almond flakes on top.
8. Bake the rolls in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and sprinkle icing sugar over the rolls.
10. Serve and enjoy after iftar.