The first day of the Lunar New Year falls on January 25 and marks the start of the Year of the Rat in the Chinese zodiac. The first animal to feature in the Chinese zodiac, the rat is one of utmost significance. Agile and smart, the well-known rodent was traditionally associated with protective qualities and is a symbol of longevity and good health.
Mouse products have been scuttling into stores and exclusive capsule collections by luxury brands capture the energetic, playful, diligent, positive and free-spiritedness character of this unique zodiac animal.
Enjoy the celebrations by treating yourself to some special edition products. Whether you want to infuse your make-up routine with a product in festive packaging, add some pieces that are sure to throw in some cuteness to your outfit or drop some jaws in bedazzling jewellery, here are some of our favourites…
1. Chloé turned to British artist and illustrator Julie Verhoeven, known for her dynamic yet soft approach to colour and figure, to create a 2020 Chinese New Year capsule collection. This rainbow-bright T-shirt presents the rat’s whimsical, youthful and lively personality as an image that will continue to delight long after the New Year has passed.
2. For the fifth year, Givenchy is celebrating Chinese New Year with limited editions. One of the products is the cult Prisme Libre loose powder (here In 01), which is dressed up in a vintage look inspired by old Givenchy caps. The red leather is a nod to the emblematic colour of China’s Spring Festival, which recalls joy and happiness. Meanwhile, the 4G logo is in gold, a bright and precious hue, which is a symbol of prosperity.
3. Beloved cartoon duo Tom and Jerry partnered up with Kate Spade New York for an exclusive collection to commemorate the Year of the Rat. The nine-piece collection includes this faux leather chain wallet with the brand’s signature spade floral motif and magnetic snap flap. While Jerry is peaking mischievously out of his favourite hiding place, you can wear it with a removable, elegant gold-tone chain strap, carry it as a clutch or slide it into a bigger bag.
4. To mark Chinese New Year, heralding the Year of the Rat, Fabergé has created the latest in a series of Palais Tsarskoye Selo Red lockets, The Palais Tsarskoye Selo Red Rat Surprise locket features red guilloché enamel and 15 round brilliant diamonds set in 18-carat yellow gold. The signature egg shaped locket opens with a gentle touch to reveal a delicate 18-carat yellow gold rat with dazzling diamond eyes.
5. Moynat Paris, the niche French atelier known for its leather goods, is celebrating the special occasion with three Year of the Rat-themed special pieces. Moynat Artistic Director Ramesh Nair is behind the designs, which include the “Stuart” macaron charm in Taurillon Gex Leather.