These appetising recipes by Dalia Dogmoch Soubra, the Syrian-German food presenter, entrepreneur and author of Food, Love and Life from Dalia's Kitchen, are perfect Iftar choices.
Chicken & Fig Tagine
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1,000g of whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 tsp of each: black pepper, cayenne pepper, ginger powder and allspice
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 2 small onions or 200g, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 21/2 cups or 625ml water
- 2 cubes MAGGI chicken stock
- 2 medium carrots or 200g, cut into thick slices
- 2 baby zucchinis or 200g, cut into thick slices
- 10-12 dried figs (300g) cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/2 tin or 150g chickpeas drained
- 1/4 cup or 15g chopped parsley
- A cup or 50g almond shavings
- Pour olive oil into a thick-bottomed pot, add and lightly brown the chicken pieces. Season with all the spices and saffron. Add and cook onion and garlic.
- Add water, MAGGI chicken stock, cover and simmer over low heat for one hour or until the meat is almost tender.
- Add carrots, baby zucchinis, figs and chickpeas and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables and meat are cooked. Add parsley and almonds, remove from heat and allow to cool for five minutes before serving.
- Stir in parsley and serve with cooked couscous.
Dates, Pecan & Pear Stuffed Turkey
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 1 cut beef bacon, cut in cubes
- 1 pear, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dates, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 11/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cubes of MAGGI chicken stock
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 loaf of country bread, cut into cubes (8-10 cups)
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 8-11 lbs whole turkey, thawed
- 1/2 lemon
- 4 tbsp butter
- In a large sauté pan heat the olive oil over medium heat add the onions and cook stirring occasionally until they are translucent for approximately six to seven minutes. Add the pears, dates, MAGGI chicken stock, thyme, bay leaves and water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and cook stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until the pears and dates are softened, adding water if needed. Add the pecans, crème fraiche and honey. Remove bay leaves, add the bread, season with pepper, then combine well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Remove all insides from the turkey, rinse thoroughly with water, pat and dry inside and out. Rub the inside with salt and half a lemon. Stuff the turkey lightly with the stuffing and rub the skin all over with butter, season with salt and pepper.
- Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan, loosely cover with foil and roast on the lowest rack in the oven for about three-four hours, rotating the turkey after the first 11/2 hours, basting with any pan juices. Continue roasting the turkey, making sure it is cooking evenly, removing the foil if needed. Continue cooking until an internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh registers 77°C and the juices in the thigh run clear when stuck with a knife. The internal temperature of the stuffing should read 73°C.
- Let the bird rest covered with foil for at least 20 minutes before carving and serving this feast.
Log on to daliaskitchen.com for more mouth-watering recipes.