Who doesn’t love a decadent chocolate dessert now and then? We certainly deserve a treat from time to time and International Chocolate Day is the perfect excuse to go all out! Rather than making the usual chocolate cake or cookies this year, surprise them with something completely different, this delicately prepared, mouth-watering Chocolate Kibbeh (Cikolota ve Turk Kahvesi). As one of Ruya Dubai’s signature creations, it promises to satisfy every gourmand’s taste buds.
Dark Chocolate Torte
- 135g dark chocolate(55% to 70%)
- 60g unsalted butter
- 160g large fresh eggs
- 79g dark soft brown sugar
- 24g almond powder
- Gently melt the butter and chocolate together over low heat using the bain-marie method. Once melted, remove from heat. Mixture should be blood temperature (around 37°C), if it is hotter, allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk the sugar and eggs together to a sabayon with soft peaks. Fold into the melted butter and chocolate, making sure to bring up any mixture from the bottom of the bowl.
- Fold the almond powder into the mixture, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared rectangle framed tin measuring 36cm x 31cm that has been lined with alumunium foil and baking paper. Bake for 30 minutes at 160 °C.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 200g caster sugar
- 180g whipping cream
- 36g glucose
- 40g unsalted butter
- 18g salt
- 1 vanilla pod
- Make a dry caramel with the sugar, meanwhile, bring the cream to a boil with the glucose, salt and vanilla and set aside.
- Once the caramel is an amber colour, slowly add the hot cream and mix to combine.
- Add the butter and mix until combined. Once the butter is fully melted, remove from heat and fold in the tahini. Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Coffee Ice Cream
- 400g cream
- 200g egg yolk
- 60g caster sugar
- 15g Turkish coffee
- Place the cream and Turkish coffee together in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolk and sugar in the bowl. Add the cream and mix, cooking very gently over low heat.
- Remove from heat and pour into bowl. Blend together with a hand blender, then strain the mixture into a clean container. Store in the freezer till set.
- Take 50g of chocolate torte and manually create an oval shape. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Then coat Chocolate Kibbeh with the 250g dark chocolate that has been melted, mixed with 50g of corn oil. Store in the freezer for five minutes till the coating is set.
- Spread two tablespoons of caramel sauce on the middle the plate. Take a scoop of coffee ice cream and place it on top of the sauce.
- Take the Chocolate Kibbeh from freezer and place on top of the ice cream.
- It’s now ready to serve!